My Type I Error

We met because of a brain.

Not ours, at first.

A scan glowing blue-white

on a monitor at 1:47 in the morning,

while the rest of the university slept

and two neuroscience students remained awake,

arguing about whether a pattern

was meaningful or merely noise.

“You're seeing something that isn't there,”
you said.

I looked at the scan again.

“I think you're just afraid I'm right.”

You smiled.

“That,” you said,
“is statistically unlikely.”

I smiled back.

“Then prove me wrong.”

I didn't know then
that this would become the story
of my life

you asking me to prove you wrong,
and me spending years
finding reasons to stay.

There was something dangerous
about meeting someone in academia.

You don't fall in love normally.

You fall in love between deadlines.

Between conference abstracts
and half-finished manuscripts.

Between the third cup of coffee
and the moment your supervisor
sends just one small revision
at midnight.

You fall in love.

Almost scientifically.

First, you learn their coffee order.

Then their handwriting.

Then the exact expression
they make when an experiment fails.

Then the sound of their footsteps
in the corridor.

Then, without noticing,

you begin arranging your days
around the possibility of seeing them.

That was how it happened with you.

That would have been too easy.

It happened in increments.

A chair pulled closer.

A coffee left beside my laptop.

A message asking,

Did you get home?

A coat placed over my shoulders
when I fell asleep in the laboratory.

Small things.

Almost insignificant.

Until they weren't.


You became my favourite part of academia.

Not the research.

Not the conferences.

Not the papers with our names
printed neatly beneath the titles.

Not the applause
after a presentation.

You.

It was always you.

Especially the mornings.

There was something sacred
about those mornings.

Before the university became loud.

Before professors started calling.

Before laboratories filled with voices.

Before we became researchers again.

There was only the two of us
sitting outside the faculty building,

sharing morning coffee
before we parted
to our own journeys.

You once told me,

“This is my favourite part of academia.”

I laughed.

“Coffee?”

You shook your head.

“No. This.”

You looked at me.

And I understood.

Perhaps academia really was
the loneliest place I had ever known.

But somehow,

since you were in it,

I wasn't lonely anymore.


We never called it love.

Scientists have an unfortunate habit
of naming everything
except what frightens them.

So we called it friendship.

We called it routine.

We called it coincidence.

We called it two people
working in the same field
and happening to care about each other.

Anything but love.

Because love was too uncontrolled.

Too impossible to replicate.

No control group.

No reliable measurement.

No way to determine
whether the outcome
would remain significant.

So we avoided the word.

And let ourselves become
something much more dangerous

necessary.


Then came the acceptance letters.

Your fellowship.

My research position.

Two opportunities
we had spent years dreaming about.

Two countries.

Two time zones.

Two lives
pulling us in opposite directions.

Everyone celebrated.

We smiled.

We hugged.

We said,

“We did it.”

But that evening,

when the building emptied
and the lights in the laboratory
turned off one by one,

you found me sitting alone.

You sat beside me.

Neither of us spoke.

For once,

there was no research
to hide behind.

Only the terrible knowledge

that tomorrow,

you would leave.


“I don't want you to go,”
I finally said.

You looked at me.

“I know.”

I laughed through the tears.

“You're not supposed to say that.”

“What am I supposed to say?”

“I don't know.”

Neither did you.

And maybe that was the most honest
we had ever been with each other.

You reached for my hand.

I let you.

Your thumb moved slowly
across my knuckles.

And then you said,

“I'm gonna take care of you.”

I looked at you.

“You can't promise that.”

“I know.”

“You'll be thousands of miles away.”

“I know.”

“You'll have your own work.”

“I know.”

“Then how?”

You looked at me
with that certainty 
I had always admired in you.

“I'll make it work.”


I wanted to believe you.

I really did.

But distance is a cruel scientist.

It changes the variables.

It introduces uncertainty.

It takes two people
who once knew each other's mornings
and teaches them how to exist
without knowing the other person's day.

There were weeks
when we spoke every night.

Then days.

Then only messages.

Have you eaten?

How was your presentation?

Don't forget to sleep.

I'm proud of you.

And eventually,

even those became
things we sent when we had time.

I told myself
this was normal.

People grow.

Careers change.

People move.

People become busy.

People survive.

But there are some absences
that do not become easier.

You simply become better
at carrying them.


Months passed.

Then years.

I became good at pretending
I didn't look for you
in every crowd.

Good at hearing
someone laugh like you
and turning around anyway.

Good at sitting alone
with morning coffee
and remembering that once,

someone used to sit across from me.

Sometimes I wondered
if I had imagined the whole thing.

Maybe you were just a beautiful
coincidence in a difficult life.

Maybe we had mistaken familiarity
for something greater.

Maybe I had made a Type I error.

The brain student in me
needed to believe that.

The woman in me
never did.


Then, one morning,

my phone rang.

An unfamiliar number.

I almost didn't answer.

“Hello?”

Silence.

Then

“Do you still drink your coffee
without sugar?”

I stopped breathing.

There are moments
when the brain does something
strange with time.

For a second,

I was no longer standing
in my apartment.

I was back outside
the faculty building.

Twenty-four years old.

Sleep-deprived.

Holding a paper cup
between my hands.

You sitting across from me.

Morning sunlight
on your face.

And that impossible feeling
that perhaps I had finally
found somewhere to belong.

“Where are you?” I whispered.

You laughed softly.

“I'm here.”

You came back.

You just appeared
outside the lab
one morning,

holding two coffees.

I looked at them.

Then at you.

“You remembered.”

“I remember everything about you.”

And suddenly,

all those years
between us collapsed.

Every unanswered message.

Every lonely morning.

Every night I convinced myself
that I had moved on.

All of it disappeared
beneath the simple fact
that you were standing there.

Again.

We walked to the old bench
outside the faculty.

The same one.

The university had changed.

The buildings looked older.

The trees had grown.

The students were different.

But the morning felt familiar.

You handed me my coffee.

I held it between my palms.

Neither of us spoke
for a long time.

Then you said,

“I told you I'd find you.”

I smiled.

“You took your time.”

“I know.”

“And?”

You looked at me.

“And I'll take care of you.”

This time,

I didn't argue.

Years later,

I would still think about
that first night.

The glowing brain scan.

Your voice telling me
I was seeing something
that wasn't there.

Maybe you were right.

Maybe I had been.

Because perhaps love
is the greatest Type I error
we make

believing there is something
where logic says there should be nothing.

Finding meaning in noise.

Finding a pattern
inside randomness.

Calling something significant
when the world tells us
it is only chance.

But here is what science
never taught me:

Sometimes the thing
you think is an error

is the discovery.

Sometimes the anomaly
is the answer.

Sometimes the person
you were never supposed to meet

becomes the person
your entire life
rearranges itself around.

And sometimes,

after years of studying
how memories are formed,

you realize

the mind is not the place
where we keep the people we love.

It is only where
we remember them.

The heart keeps them somewhere else.

Somewhere beyond
probability.

Beyond distance.

Beyond reason.

So if loving you
was my Type I error,

then let the result stand.

I don't want to correct it.

I don't want another hypothesis.

I don't want a different conclusion.

Because tomorrow morning,

before we leave again
for our separate labs,

you will sit across from me
with your coffee in your hands.

And for a few quiet minutes,

before the world asks us
to become anyone again,

I'll look at you and think

Perhaps academia is still the loneliest place
I have ever known.

But you are in it.

And somehow,

I am home.

- Subhashi Tania de Silva 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

there is a strange science to you

my letter to sky